March 5, 2014

Review: Cress

Cress 
by Marissa Meyer 

Release Date: February 4, 2014
Publisher: Feiwel & Friends
Age Group: Young Adult
Rating: 1 2 3 4 5

Series: Book 3 in the Lunar Chronicles series

Rapunzel’s tower is a satellite. She can’t let down her hair—or her guard.  

In this third book in the bestselling Lunar Chronicles series, Cinder and Captain Thorne are fugitives on the run, with Scarlet and Wolf in tow. Together, they’re plotting to overthrow Queen Levana and her army.   

Their best hope lies with Cress, who has been trapped on a satellite since childhood with only her netscreens as company. All that screen time has made Cress an excellent hacker—unfortunately, she’s just received orders from Levana to track down Cinder and her handsome accomplice.   

When a daring rescue goes awry, the group is separated. Cress finally has her freedom, but it comes at a high price. Meanwhile, Queen Levana will let nothing stop her marriage to Emperor Kai. Cress, Scarlet, and Cinder may not have signed up to save the world, but they may be the only ones who can.

My Review:

Cover: This is probably my favourite cover so far. I really thought they were going to change her hair to red to fit the red theme. Glad they didn't. The ribbon was a great idea. The next book is obviously going to be an apple. I can't wait to see how they're going to design that one. 

Writing: (4/5) The writing is very light (despite being a science fiction) which suits this series. There's a lot of dialogue which helps move the story along because there's so many characters. I would say that the book is written fairly well, but I feel it has a lot to do with the original content. 

Setting: (5/5) I keep forgetting how fun and imaginative the setting in this series is. I love the mix of science fiction and, I feel, ancient. It really is a unique world. Cress being trapped in a satellite was a neat way to retell Rapunzel being trapped in her tower. Quite a bit of the book was set in Africa, specifically in the town of Farafra, which was refreshing shift from New Beijing and France. A couple of chapters also took place on Luna and I loved what I saw so far. The next book, Winter, will be set on Luna and I'm excited about that.

Plot: (5/5) Unlike Scarlet, which took me a while to get into Scarlet's point of view, I was instantly absorbed into Cress's story. None of the chapters were boring to read. The author intertwined everyone's stories extremely well, which seems to be the result of careful planning. Scarlet actually split up from Cinder, so we had three different main characters with three different plot lines going on.

Main Character: (2.5/5) 
Cinder: With each passing book, I keep seeing how incredibly flat Cinder is, especially when you compare her to Scarlet and Cress. Which is obviously a shame because the main story is Cinder's story, while the other three's stories - Scarlet, Cress, and Winter - are intertwined in hers. I really don't see any characterization with her at all.

Scarlet: Out of the three, Scarlet was in the book the least. She had a few chapters from her point of view, but they were incredibly brief. It wasn't really until the end that I felt like I actually saw her again, but with where that ended off - I'm curious to see what will happen to her next.

Cress: Cress is my favourite out of the three heroines. I really liked her innocent and shy character and it was incredibly fun reading her story. I'm quite curious to see what will happen to her by the end. 

Villain: (4/5) Although Levana made a few appearances, the main villain was Sybil (the one who locked up Cress in a satellite). I actually really liked Sybil's extreme loyalty to Levana. I always find these kind of characters incredibly interesting. 

Other Characters: (4/5) 
Thorne: This was a surprise to me, but I guess it was actually pretty obvious: Thorne ends up being Cress's love interest. I liked seeing him mature from his vain and self centered personality and I hope to see him develop more in the next book. 
Kai: Like Cinder, Kai is pretty flat. At this point I would say they're equally the two worst characters in the series.
Wolf: Wolf, Cress, and Iko are currently my favourite characters. Again, like the first book, I found Wolf to be incredibly endearing.  
Iko: Something interesting about Iko is that she has a different form in each book. It keeps her very cute seeing her mannerisms through each form. 
Dr. Erland: I liked seeing Dr. Erland and I liked that an adult was part of Cinder's teenage group. Because of this, I didn't like what happened to him at the end.
Jacin: A new character that, if you remember, made a brief appearance in Cinder. On that note, I really like how the author has mentioned and interwined these characters right from the first book. It makes the introduction of characters not unwelcome and feel like they always belonged. Jacin's personality was more cold in comparison to the rest of the cast and that was an interesting addition. 

Romance: (4/5) Kai and Cinder's romance was OK despite them being so flat. It helped that they were barley together in the book, but I hope they won't be unpleasant in Winter. Cress and Thorne were interesting and even funny because their personalities were so different. I found Scarlet and Wolf to be cute. 

Overall: (28.5/35) The only flaw was Cinder and Kai's flatness. Cress is my favourite out of the series so far! It was great right from the beginning. The intertwining of the point of views and stories was done wonderfully. Cress's character and story was my favourite out of the heroines.

1 comment:

  1. I love how completely you broke down the book by characters and all those criteria. I agree the writing is light for a science fiction which made it more enjoyable for me. I actually have been really enjoying sf in ya and adult books and you can always tell the difference with ya being on the lighter techy sf style of things. I cannot wait for Winter!

    ReplyDelete